Toll free: 855-QUEST-US

Customs Regulations

Philippines Flag


Philippines Flag



  • Passport (original) showing last departure and arrival date
  • Residence Visa
  • Residence Permit
  • Work Permit
  • Inventory (should state each item as "used" and in English)
    • Duplicate appliances always taxable
  • Letter of Request for Exemption:
    • Customs Bond
    • Letter of Guarantee
    • Bank Guarantee
    • (Necessary for certain Visa categories only)
  • Other documents may be required, depending on customer's immigration status





  • Shipment must not arrive before visa is approved
  • Shipment must arrive within 60 days before or after customer's arrival
  • All shipments are subject to 100% inspection upon arrival
  • All household goods and personal effects must have been in customer's possession for at least six months prior to importation
  • Temporary visitors are allowed to bring household goods, personal effects and vehicles provided they file a re-export bond good for six months or pay the levied Customs duties/taxes
  • For immigrant/permanent resident, all used household goods and personal effects are allowed full tax and duty-free entry on one shipment (air or sea)
  • Non-resident/retiree (first time to settle), all used household goods and personal effects not exceeding U.S. $7,800 are allowed entry tax and duty-free

  • Animals, fish, and plants
  • Films, video tapes, and disks
  • Medicines
  • Telecommunication equipment
  • Color reproduction machine
  • Motor vehicle parts

  • Firearms and ammunition
  • Realistic toy guns
  • Narcotics, opium, and opium smoking paraphernalia
  • Drugs intended for abortion
  • Pornography
  • Adulterated and misbranded drugs
  • Counterfeit, altered, or imitated coins, paper money, banknotes, and securities
  • Gambling machines and articles
  • Gold/silver and precious metal bullion
  • Commercial quantities of foodstuffs, used clothing, and rags

      • The importation of privately owned vehicles (POV's) to the Philippines is very restrictive.  The process is long, requires a great deal of paperwork, and a special import permit is required.  This permit is available only in the Philippines, and can not be issued by an embassy or consulate office
  • Only returning Filipino residents and foreign embassy diplomats are allowed to import motor vehicles "Duty Free"
  • All motor vehicles must have an Import Authority Permit issued by the Philippine Bureau of Import Service before the vehicle is shipped.
  • Owner must have lived abroad for at least one year and car must have been registered in his name at least six months if the car is more than three years old, vehicles more than three years old should be registered under shippers name at least one year prior to application of the Import Permit
  • Failure to comply with above will result in PENALTIES AND CONFISCATION of vehicle
  • Auto must arrive within 60 days of customer's arrival
  • Destination Agent must be contacted prior to shipping any vehicles
  • All vehicles subject to taxes and duties
  • Gasoline-fueled cars limited to 2,800 cc not over 1,500 kgs
  • Right-hand driven vehicles not permitted
  • Only one vehicle allowed per family
  • Autos five years old or older not permitted
  • Banned/unauthorized motor vehicles subject to seizure; owner subject to penalties

  • Documents required:
    • Original Registration and proof of ownership
    • Import Permit from Department of Trade or Bureau of Import
    • Surety Bond
    • Original Bill of Sale
    • Original Passport
    • Certificate of arrival
    • Stencils of chassis/engine number
    • Deed of Sale or Commercial Invoice
    • Other documents, depending on customer's immigration status
  • PETS

  • Dogs, cats and birds are not restricted for importation.  It is highly recommended that an "exotic pet" could be restricted
  • Race horses and game fowl are subject to duties and taxes
  • Documents required:
    • Owner's Passport
    • Import Permit (from Bureau of Animal Industry)
    • Identification card of the pet
    • Pedigree Certificate
    • Original Vaccination and Health Certificate from origin (Issued within 10 days of the importation. Must show proof that vaccination was administered between 60 to 180 days prior to the flight)
    • No quarantine required
  • PETS

    Individuals whose intended visas are not yet approved by the Commission on Immigration and Deportation could request a temporary tax and duty-free release of their cargo with the Department of Finance by providing a cash bond, as well as a Letter of Request for the change of visa status was already submitted to the Commission on Immigration and Deportation. The Cash Bond could be acquired through payment of a certain premium, which would be based on 150% of the appraised value as assessed by the Bureau of Customs. The same is only valid for a period of 90 days from the date of filing of the Customs Permit with the Bureau of Customs from which it could be extended only for another 90 days. If the said Cash Bond remains unconcealed after the prescribed period, penaltties shall be levied by the Bureau of Customs against the consignee up to the forfeiture of the Cash Bond.


    NOTE - Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers.
    Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, we cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.



Email this article.......